Friday 4 March 2011

Design Project B: Layout options

I started thinking about how I could lay out the opposing bits of information for each topic of my book. I need it to look organized yet chaotic and still prove my point. Typography will be the main star of the book and I'm very much inspired by the Swiss modernists' applications. I also thought it would be interesting to lay out my book using a technique created in the same time period as the encyclopedias were published.

I took a look at the works of Karl Gerstner, Siegfried Odermatt, Carlo Vivarelli and Josef Muller-Brockmann to name a few as well as found some interesting use of word collage online:


I was particularly drawn to the work of Herbert Leupin and his use of newspaper collage to create illustration. This led to the solution to print my book reversed out on the encyclopedia pages, allowing the old "objective" words to form the new "subjective" information:

 
I also was incredibly inspired by a quote I found in "Graphic Design: A Concise History" by Richard Hollis - "Neue Graphik consummated the desires of the pre-war pioneers for objectivity in visual communication." I think it will be an interesting contradiction to communicate a lack of objectivity in modern information sources by using a layout technique that was designed to portray objectivity.  The following is a simple exercise inspired by this quote:



Next week: layout mock ups!

No comments:

Post a Comment