Wednesday 20 October 2010

Designers I think are neato


Noma Bar:
OK, so this guy is actually an illustrator but I just read about him in a magazine recently and fell in love with his work. He does fairly simple but brilliant illustrations. I particularly enjoy his portraits where he uses familiar silhouettes of famous people or characters and then one simple icon as a facial feature that also sums up their claim to fame. I also like his pieces that use negative space to juxtapose two different figures to create meaning for each one. In the interview I read, he mentioned that the simplicity of his work causes people to mimic his style – which I thought was an interested downside and something to consider when developing one’s design style.


Sanna Annukka:
Again, dang, also an illustrator. I noticed Sanna’s work when we took the trip to the Design Museum. They were selling her prints in the gift shop. I love the 60s mod/70s feel to her work in the use of color and general shapes. I’m a huge fan of patterns as well as flat, minimal illustration and I feel that she combines the two nicely. I also love that her work isn’t limited to the printed page – it also expands into home décor and textiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment